So if you read my last post you’ll know that I have been struggling to express recently. Since then I have been working hard to build up my milk supply, and wanted to share my top 5 tips.
1. Try to express using a breast pump as much as you can throughout the day – don’t worry how much is coming out at this point. Your milk supply is based on a supply and demand need, so if you pump, your body should start to realize that it needs to start producing more milk.
2. Eat and drink enough. This seems like an obvious one but this is where I went wrong. I skipped meals purely because I wasn’t thinking about myself. If you want to feed your baby however it is important that you feed yourself. After all everything you take in goes through to baba.
3. Massage your breasts. Give your breast a rub to get the stimulation going. If you do this while using a breast pump you may notice a difference.
4. Play with your nipples. Yeah this one is probably best to do when you’re alone or with your partner! But I guess you can have fun with it while sending those all important messages to your body.
5. Lactacian cookies aren’t something I have personally tried but as I’ve heard so much about them I thought I’d add this in. They are special cookies that contain galactagogues, which are substances that promote lactaction. You can purchase them or have a go at making them yourself here.