I entered motherhood without any expectations or presumptions but I have learnt more about myself and the world around me then ever before. It’s amazing how someone who has just entered your life and the world for that matter! Can teach you things you hadn’t even considered. So this is what I’ve learnt so far…
1.You have not experienced unconditional love until you have had a child. I do not mean to undermine any other relationships in a persons life, but the love you feel for your child is so unique and special it’s almost indescribable.
2. The Relationships in your life will change. Undoubtably some or possibly all of the relationships in your life will change. This by no means suggests it will have a negative impact on them, but you may find, like me, you feel a whole new set of feelings towards your partner and a massive amount of new found respect for your mum!
3. You have to find time to do you. For the most part of the day I am in mummy mode; at my daughter’s every beck and cry! I do cherish those few moments, however, when she is asleep or a family member has her to just relax or do something for myself. Having just a few minutes gives me time to just take a breather and refresh.
4. Your child will give you the strength to overcome anything. My daughter has given me a new level of strength that gives me such confidence in myself. For the first time in my life I feel like I can cope with any obstycle thrown in my way.
5. You can never have too many photos…of the same thing! I thought I took a lot of photos before but now I’m constantly dealing with the ‘space full’ pop up on my phone because of the amount of photos I take on a daily basis. Everything my daughter does seems to call for a photo opportunity!
6. Boundaries no longer exist. Poo, sick, wee…yup they’re all topics of discussion in mum talk! I’ve began to realise, however, that not everyone wants to hear about my daughters most recent poo explosion!
7. You will have new found admiration for yourself. Not everyone will admit this but after pushing a baby out of..well you know… and managing to look after a tiny human I feel pretty damn proud of myself! Being a Mum is so rewarding but that does not mean its an easy task.
8. There is no right or wrong way of doing things. The midwives always think they know best! It’s probably true that they have more knowledge, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are always right. Trust your instincts as a mother. Know one knows your child better than you; so don’t feel pressured into trying to do everything you are advised.
9. You will never stop worrying. I always thought my Mum worried way to much about me and my sister, but I can completely understand why now. I am always worrying about my daughter, and for no apparent reason other than wanting to make sure she is okay 100% of the time!
10. You will become the best version of yourself. My daughter brings out the best in me. She makes me smile in a way that no one else can. She teaches me patience and virtue. She brings me hope and determination. She fills me with joy and love.